Monday, October 31, 2011

Pre-Production

There's nothing magical about producing a comic book and it doesn't matter if it is 24 pages or 128 pages in length.  It is just a matter of scheduling a time to work on it or just leaping in at the last spare moments of a day.

I'm gearing up for the latest YETS! book and there's nothing much to show while I'm writing it, unless you want to see a bunch of words.  So here's photos of the process.
 
There's nothing magical about it, I keep my expenses low.
I even use notebooks and pencils I bought at back-to-school sales.
I sketch each page with balloons and write dialogue outside the panels,
and I write the page number in the upper left corner.
I label (scribble...) the notebooks with the titles of stories.
The "Dental Story" was in YETS! #3
and "Is It Morning Yet?" and "Another Story Yet"  were in YETS! #2
These titles are just working titles so I have them labeled. 
 
During times like this  I spend sketching ideas to put in the stories because I feel like I'm not doing anything productive.  Also drawing helps to stir up other ideas.
So I started designing background characters for this story.






2 comments:

  1. It's very cool to see your creative process Mike. It should be of interest to anyone who wishes to be a success.

    I got a Pentel brush pen. It's pretty awesome, but it's going to take some getting used to. It's been a long time since I inked seriously, and I never did have the touch you do. I'm pretty heavy handed. I'll get there, though. I'm determined! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it. Its easy to get a look similar to Bernie Wrightson with a pen!

    ReplyDelete